A. Cleaning temp folder
- Press and hold the Windows key and the letter ‘R’ together.
- Once the Run window opens, enter the text “temp”, without quotes, and press Enter key.
- Now, you will have Windows Explorer with the system junk files folder open.
- Select any file or folder in the open Window and then press and hold the ‘CTRL’ and alphabet ‘A’ together.
- Now, right click the highlighted files.
- While pressing down the ‘Shift’ key, select the option “Delete” from the menu.
- If you are prompted to click on ‘Yes’ or ‘Allow’ or ‘Continue’, select the check box to the left bottom corner of the pop up window and then click on the visible button mentioned.
- Repeat the step 7. If the pop ups continue for more than a few times, select the option to the left bottom corner of the pop up window and select ‘Skip’ and repeat the same.
- Once the deletion is complete, you may close the Temp folder window and continue to next step.
Cleaning %temp% folder
The steps to clean the temporary user files is to follow the same steps above to clean the temp folder as above, where the command ‘temp’ is replaced with “%temp%”, without quotes.
Clean Up System Files
- Press the Windows key and the ‘R’ key together to open the Run command window.
- Now, enter the text “cleanmgr”, without quotes.
- Then, select the hard drive partition from the drop down in the pop up window and click on ‘OK’ button.
- Once the scan for junk data is complete, select the items from the list, except the Recycle Bin.
- Click on ‘OK’ button and wait for the cleaning operation to complete.
Clearing Internet Explorer junk files
- Press and hold the Windows key and the letter ‘R’ at once.
- In the Run window, enter the command ‘inetcpl.cpl’ and then hit Enter key.
- Now, click on the ‘Advanced’ tab on the Internet Options window.
- Then, click on the reset button.
- Now, select the option to delete the personal settings in the pop up window.
Wait for the reset to complete and then continue to the next step.